Melbel is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default When to worry about potential swine flu - WWYD?

All 3 kids have had mild colds this week. This morning DS has starting a persistent cough that does not appear to be responding to albuterol. DS and DD1 both have asthma. Of course, it is Memorial Day weekend and the doctor's office is closed. I have our pediatrician's cell number (our DC go to school together and she has told me I can call her). If he does not improve, I will call her when it is not so early but I do not want to sound like an alarmist. On the other hand, with his history of asthma, I do not want things to get too far out of hand.

I was wondering what the protocol is for swine flu testing. Anyone BTDT?

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

All of our allergies are wicked this week. But the swine flu testing is the same as the other flu testing. They take a nasal swab and send it to the lab.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

If it's asthma, then you may need albuterol in a nebulizer (if are only currently using an inhaler) or a steroid (inhaled or oral).

If your ped group has an on-call number I would call and ask for a steroid scrip to be called in.

My older DD has asthma. She also had a mild cold this weekend with a slight fever, slightly runny nose, but a persistent cough all night and all day long from the asthma. We switched to a stronger inhaled steroid and are giving Xopenex (like albuterol) every 4 hours.

Flu would be more like high fever, chills, aches, severe upper respiratory symptoms, etc.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

We've got similar stuff going on with the kids. Both DS's ended up at the ped. office on friday for 2 nebulizer treatments each. DS1 who usually does not wheeze when sick, got a really bad cough and started wheezing. DS2 has been wheezing on and off these past several months. I had been giving him the albuterol in the nebulizer for a week when the coughing got worse and he wasn't responding well to the med. Both kids are now on the albuterol and pulmicort (steroid) with the nebulizer 3x/day this weekend.

I would give the doc on call and they're probably give you a steroid pres., as Beth said..
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

bnme is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We seem to have the same bug -mild fever, cough, mild congestion. It has been several days .

How long do you keep them home? The 24 hour fever-free rule? Do you let them go outside to play (in nice weather) if they are up to it? No fun to be sick on the holiday weekend with so much going on.
    Donna

Mom to JT 1/03 and TJ 8/04

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

From the CDC on symptoms of H1N1:
    "The symptoms of this new H1N1 flu virus in people are similar to the symptoms of seasonal flu and include fever, cough, sore throat, runny or stuffy nose, body aches, headache, chills and fatigue. A significant number of people who have been infected with this new H1N1 virus also have reported diarrhea and vomiting."

It doesn't sound like your kids have flu like symptoms, just a cold. I can safely say in our facility we would not bother to test them for H1N1. I would just do whatever you normally do with your kids when they have a bad cold and call the doctor when you normally would.

I would think that lack of fever should put your mind at ease. 2 of my 3 kids and my husband have had cold and cough symptoms in the past few weeks. No fevers and they're still standing.
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

Melbel is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks for all of the prompt replies. His temperature is 99.9, a bit warm but not a true fever. He has been complaining of headaches the past few days though. I am going to give him albuterol via the nebulizer now and see if that helps. If not, I will check in with the pediatrician re. Pulmicort (which we had to use daily for DD1 for about 1.5 years).