Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

My first c-section the nurses and doctors did not let me eat for nearly 2 days. So I assumed it was the same this time and they doctors and nurses at the hospital I used this time around said that eating was fine so long as I felt like it. I was not down for eating for a few hours but ate the same day as my surgery and felt much better this time around vs. last.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

TraciG is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

first of all really it is so easy I think, I had 2 C section's, first unplanned , second planned. I didn't have my arm's pinned down. The spinal was nothing, didn't hurt at all . I was only shaved a little, no big deal . I felt no pain, I felt my body moving when they were pulling DS out but it wasn't uncomfortable at all !!! I think having a C section is VERY easy, for me anyway, first time I recovered very easy second time was easy but the first time I got up I felt the incision on one side pulling & burning, but by the time I walked to the bathroom I could stand up straighter & was ok .

I LOVED being in the hospital all those day's & having the help with the LC !! Take advantage !

You wont believe that I was dress shopping a couple of day's after getting out of the hospital for my DS's Bris !!! The incision hurt a little since I was bending down a lot, trying clothe's on, I EVEN danced ( a little ) at the Bris 8 day's later ! We had a HUGE party with a DJ.

Anyway , don't worry , really it's not painful & so exciting to give birth which every way it is !

Good luck

I did forget my first CS I did have bad gas pain's in my shoulder's after, that was my worst complaint , they gav eme Mylicon for it.

Also I remember with DS it wa shard to sleep on my side like I alway's do.

Just take the pain med's on time !
    Last edited by TraciG; 01-14-2009 at 02:09 PM.
    Traci

Mom to Sydney Nicole & Jacob Hunter

I haven't read through the entire post, but here's mine:

Now I was unfortunate enough to have all the after effects of a failed labor and suctioning so I got to recover from that in addition.

I wish I had known that I was allergic to the staples they used to put me back together. I know I have a metal allergy, but this is supposed to be surgical steel! Apparently buring is not a normal side effect and when they took them out they told me how inflammed my skin was. Nice.

I wish someone had told me to really push the pain pump thing. I thought I was fine and I hate pain medicine so I never touched the thing. Well, the first time I got up to pee, I couldn't make it and bawled like a baby.

Oh, and not being able to eat! I was starving by the time they allowed my first meal!

Definitely wish I knew about the constipation. Wow, that was rough (esp with the stitches down!) Luckily, I am somewhat lactose intolerant so one Starbucks chai and things started moving!

I also was not prepared for the inability to move the first night. DH had to get up everytime DD cried and give her to me to nurse.

I am glad that I got up asap. Once I did that lap around the floor, they let me out the next day! I couldn't wait to get out of there. Recovery is so much better at home. Getting in and out of bed was tough, but other than that, it wasn't too bad.
    DD1 06
    DD2 09
    DS1 13

Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

FYI- I heard that chewing gum as soon as you can after the surgery is a good thing because it gets your digestive juices going which is supposed to help with the gas problem. I've also heard to start eating a regular diet asap.

Beth

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

One other thing - if you can move your legs after the spinal - don't let them start! I felt most of the c/s with DS1 and I could continue to move my legs a bit.

DD was fine.

DS2, I could still wiggle my toes and I told them they had to wait until I couldn't because I was not feeling another c/s. Not sure if I would've, but I didn't want to find out!

And, you can request all sorts of things. It's up to the docs for most. I had a mirror and saw DS2 being delivered. Yes, I saw my uterus and that was odd, but I will always treasure knowing before DH that #3 was a boy! He got to tell me the other 2 times and I liked telling him.
    Kris

I had one planned and one emergency c-section. The planned one was WAY better since I knew what to expect.

Don't let them give you a sedative if you think it won't bother you to be lucid through the whole c-section and closing. They apparently did this with my first and I was out cold for 4 hours. Did not see or hold my baby until 4 hours after she was born, had terrible chills and had to recover in a separate room. With my 2nd, I insisted on no sedative. I remember the whole thing, was awake and feeling great and able to hold her and nurse her as soon as I was closed up.

I was not totally shaved - just a little on top and my arms were not strapped down.

Take the pain meds. Get up and move around as soon as you can. I was able to eat solids as soon as I wanted.

cono0507 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Haven't had the time to read through the other responses, but here are my 2 cents. I had one crash section under general anesthesia and a planned section.

1. as with any birth, things may not go as planned and be prepared for your plan to not workout. (my first was born 5 weeks early and had a 2 week NICU stay - didn't hold him for 3 days. second was planned term section and had a 1 day NICU stay - didn't get to hold her or nurse till next day).
    2. take your colace or other stool softener for the first few weeks post partum. the last thing you want it so be straining with a sore tummy.
    3. take the motrin around the clock for the first week or so.
    4. get up and moving early. it does help you recover earlier, gets your intestines working, etc. Just don't overdo it of course. I'm the type who likes to be in my own clothes and free of all tubes as early as possible.
    5. your regular bikini type underwear might not work post op - my normal VS bikinis hit right at my incision and my sister had to go out any buy me a few packs of briefs until the incision wasn't fresh anymore.

good luck!

One emergency and one in the planning right now... I read through everything and these are the things I have to add...

*put a pad inside your undies over your incision. It will absorb any oozing and keep the incision dry. A huge thing!
    *Cherry chewable Gas-X!!! Our hospital gave this to me as part of my medication "cocktail" post op. It tasted great and was really good.
    *Take all the meds they give you on schedule. They really do help.
    *If you don't like stool softeners or prune juice, kiwi juice works too.
    *Bring BIG slip on shoes. All those IV fluids will make your feet swell.
    *Ask for the catheter to be placed AFTER your spinal has taken effect. No need to feel that!
    *An abdominal binder is nice when you get home and will also help your posture and swelling. (There are some really cute ones out there even.

In addition, I am looking into the c-panty this time around. Might be worth a look, but I don't have any experience yet.
    Have a nice day!

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    Have your prescription meds filled and ready for you at home (DH waited the first time till I was home, the scrip was missing something, my doc was at her son's graduation with phone off and it took hours to get the narcotic form redone, meanwhile the pain had set in.)
    That brought back a memory I'd forgotten. Goes with the stay ahead of the pain. Our discharge took forever with my first. We were packed and told we could go at 9 am. It was after 1 pm before my OB cleared me. Horrible snow storm messed up her getting to the hospital. Stop at pharmacy and discover the wrong date is on the scripts, but the office closed because of the storm. It was ugly.

I'd never had surgery. The best thing I did for the second one was be more proactive with my questions. What to expect next, from who, when - ask the questions. The staff was all very informative but only about what was going on right at that moment. I needed to know what to expect. I also did a much better job of learning the nursing schedule and their names.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Melbel View Post
    I have had 3 planned CS, starting with DS who was quite large (9 lbs, 3 oz., 23 inches and breech). A few things I learned along the way...

• They may strap your arms down in a cross pose. I do not know if it is necessary.
    • To deliver DS (my big one) it took significant tugging, pulling and pressure, much more than I expected.
    • You tend to get better care if you schedule such that you are in the hospital during the week, not the weekend.
    • I did my own prep for shaving (not necessary to shave entire bikini area); it may be worthwhile to ask how much prep is necessary.
    • It is wonderful to have hair cut, mani, pedi before the CS.
    • It is wonderful to be able to line up childcare for other DC in advance and otherwise prepare DC for the big arrival.
    • You can nurse the baby right away.
    • It may not be in your best interest to get the catheter out quickly. The night after DD2 was born, I was up the entire time with the sensation of having to pee. Up all night miserable.
    • Recovery was not difficult so long as you keep the pain under control (much more difficult to play catch up) and do not try to do too much too soon.
    • A planned CS is very well organized w/ very little stress IME.
    • CS babies are beautiful w/ nice round heads and no battle wounds which makes for great newbie pix!

Good luck and congratulations!
    I've had 3 c/s. The first was emergency, the second were planned. My arms were strapped for the first one but not for the last two. With the second and third ones, the nurses made me promise that I wouldn't try to move my hand past the sterile drape. If they saw me starting to reach down, they said they'd have to strap me down.

I've had an epidural as well as a spinal. You will most likely get a spinal and frankly, I'd take that ANY day over an epidural. The spinal is one shot in the back. It's actually pretty easy- having a tooth filled hurts more and longer! The spinal works nearly immediately and starts to wear off pretty quickly too.

i felt a lot of tugging with my first baby but nearly none during my second and even with the twins! I had told my OB how much tugging and pulling I felt during the first c/s and he said he'd take care of that. Probably talked to the anesthesiologist. I dont' care who he talked to, those last 2 were a breeze!

I was also told not to shave myself because it can more easily lead to an infection. Also, I used a preventative wash on my skin (Hibiclens?) that I got from the pharmacist at Walgreens to help fight bacteria from my skin getting into my incision. I was told to shower with it for 2 days before the operation.

I LOVED the catheter! I was able to relax comfortably in bed without having to pee for the first time in months. It was wonderful. I begged them to leave it in longer but they said I had to start walking. No more vegging for me!

I agree with the others that it really is a stress-free situation. You can line-up adequate childcare before hand, have everything done that ABSOLUTELY needs to be done, and you will have 4 days in the hospital to sleep and work on nursing. A pediatrician comes and checks on your baby daily and the OB checks on you daily. Super-duper care for 4 days. Use that time to SLEEP!!!

I wasn't prepared for how much I'd bleed and for how long. I thought that when you had a c/s they just got all that stuff out on the operating table! I didn't know I"d bleed like a vaginal birth afterwards. silly me. I went through a LOT of thick pads. I think I stopped bleeding red after 3 weeks. I still bled but it turned dark (sorry if TMI but that surprised and frightened me the first time).

Get serious, MIL-type help for the first 7 days out of the hospital. You'll probably be off the pain meds before a week is up at home. But you'll still be forced to take it easy and rest, so get help if possible.

Another thing I learned was that cold drinks and carbonated drinks are NOT good for you after an abdominal operation. Neither is drinking through a straw. The carbonation, and bubbles can give you gas (ouch!), and cold drinks and food can make your bowel contract or tighten up or something like that. Anyway, it's NOT comfortable. Oh, and take some dried fruit or ask for stool softeners right off the bat so that you don't have a hard time passing gas or having a bm. You definitely don't want to get constipated.

Can't think of anything else. It'll be a lot easier than you think, trust me.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast