Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

There are a couple different things depending on your cough. Coughs can last for a long time. If you want to suppress at night any product that has codeine in it will help. If it is due to inflamation from either coughing to much or allergies/asthma then inhalers and antihistamines will help. Coughs can be productive in loosening the phlegm so it doesn't lead to other serious medical problems. For that you can take mucinex. Also a product called hold lozenges can be great during the day. They contain Dextromethorphan. Our whole family has had trouble with chronic coughs. This is what has helped us. But as always ask your doctor.
    Jenn
    M - my 7 yo ADHD/anxiety monkey.
    TT - my 4yo tiny terror.

"Swimming is not a sport. Swimming is a way to keep from drowning. That’s just common sense!" "I don’t have a fear of heights. I do, however, have a fear of falling from heights." “No comment” is a comment."
    "The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization."
    - George Carlan

s7714 is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by nov04
    Any chance you have asthma??? You sound exactly like me. I take ventolin and steroid spray to get it under control. I'm surprised your Dr. hasn't looked into this. GL
    Huh, that's interesting. I've never been diagnosed as having it, but the doctor I saw for this sinus infection (not my normal PCP) asked me if I had asthma. I didn't think to ask why he was inquiring as I just assumed it was a routine question for the medicine he was prescribing or something. I'll have to ask my PCP the next time I go in.

I questioned if I had some form of asthma when I was a teenager because I'd always get severally out of breath and have a hard time breathing after running any extended amount of time outdoors, but the doctor just brushed it off because I didn't show any signs after running in place for a minute in his office.

Out of curiosity, how do they determine if you have situation specific asthma, like only when you are experiencing allergies, illness, etc.?
    Jen

ohiomom1121 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Have you ever tried Mucinex DM Expectorant/Cough Suppressant? It's sold behind the pharmacist's counter. I've had a stuffed up nose for a week and a friend told me about the Mucinex D which has been wonderful, so I would think the DM version for coughs would work well too. Good luck!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2