Default Ingrown Toenail - WWYD?

G has an ingrown toenail on his big toe, and the skin into which the nail is growing has gotten quite red. I'm putting neosporin on it, but am wondering what else I should do.

Ped says it'll work itself out. I'd rather be more active than that. Anyone with BTDT experience?

TIA.
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

I would soak the foot in a warm bath until the skin is nice and soft and gently use something to lift the edge of the nail over the skin. On my own nails, I use a nail file to lift it up and then slide a small piece of cotton under it. Also make sure to keep the nails short and filed straight across.

Quote Originally Posted by tnrnchick74
    I would soak the foot in a warm bath until the skin is nice and soft and gently use something to lift the edge of the nail over the skin. On my own nails, I use a nail file to lift it up and then slide a small piece of cotton under it. Also make sure to keep the nails short and filed straight across.

Yes, this was my first thought, but wouldn't work. The skin/flesh bump is too large, the nail too small and attached to skin under it.

This has actually been a small issue since G was born. The things that I would do for my nails - soaking, gently pulling the skin back, keeping the nail straight - unfortunately have not been effective. And now it's getting worse.
    -Ivy

ha98ed14 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would pull the nail out of the flesh and clip it back. (How is it going to work its way out if it is aimed in towards the toe and will keep growing in that direction?) Then I would put hydrogen peroxide on it a couple times a day with a cotton ball. Keep a sock on it.

I've never found anything that works better than just clipping it and ripping them out frankly. Everything else is just long and drawn out and hurts.

Wait- I just realized you were talking about the baby! Dummy me. You could still cut it yourself which a this point wouldn't be a big deal. Or you can see a podiatrist or do what your ped said.
    Last edited by elaineandmichaelsmommy; 12-01-2008 at 03:28 AM.
    DD1 11/02
    DS 11/05
    and
    DD2 2/09

I had one and they are very very painful! I don't think I'd let it work itself out. I would either go see a Podiatrist or go to a reputable nail salon in your area. I did the latter and the nail salon was both good and gentle when cutting it. You might consider buying your own cuticle clippers to take to them to use to cut down on the possibility of infection.

Jenny

I'd recommend soaking in warm water at least 2x daily for at least 20 minutes to soften the nail and skin. When I mess with my toenails and cut them shorter than where they grow in they end up getting worse. You may be able to clean out the area slightly but I wouldn't try to pull the toenail out where it is growing into the skin. It needs to get long enough that the edge isn't pushing into his toe.

~Lisa
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

My DD had this issue when she was a newborn. Our ped said it is common and to leave it alone and not trim her nails too short. He said if it gets red and puffy to put some neosporin on it. It did a few times, but eventually it fixed itself. Their toenail just needs to grow longer and kind of push the skin away. I'd be carfeful with doing anything that could break the skin.
    Lisa
    Emma 11/02
    Adam 2/07
    Their hands may be small but their feelings are just as big as ours.

Thanks, everyone! It looks better today after the neosporin, so I'm not quite as worried. The odd thing is that it's on the side of his toenail, not the top, but I'm hoping that time and growth will take care of the problem.

I like the idea of soaking, too, to clean out the area a bit.

I knew I'd get great input from the smart mamas on this board!
    -Ivy