View Poll Results: Which allergy nasal spray works best for you?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Avamys (fluticasone furoate)

0 0%
  • Flonase (fluticasone proprionate)

7 38.89%
  • Nasacort (triamcinolone acetonide)

3 16.67%
  • Nasonex (mometasone furoate)

4 22.22%
  • other -- please elaborate

4 22.22%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Poll: The allergy medication that works best for me is

Just wondering which allergy nasal spray people have the most success with?
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Sarah and I both use Nasonex. Its been terrific for both of us. Zyrtec did nothing for her allergies and she wouldn't take Claritin.

I used to take Claritin but often had breakthough and needed Benadryl on top of it.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Moneypenny is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I use Rhinocort. That's the only one that seems to work for me.
    Moneypenny
    DD is 19!

I was going to respond to your post in b!tching with this info, but was too tired. Both my ped & ENT have recommended a homemade saline nasal spray which they swear by. DD has had numerous EIs. I started using it at the first sign of runny nose & haven't had any EIs since. I don't know that it will help your sinus infection, but combined with a nasal spray should be a good preventative measure for the future.
    I posted the recipe in this thread:
    http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin...ht=nasal+spray
    ~Shanamama

Mommy's girl- 10 years old!!
    Daddy's girl- turning 7!!
    monkey boy- 3 years old now!!

Wacky typos brought to you by autocorrect.

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have bad allergies, and "borderline" asthma. I take Claritin, Nasonex, Sudafed and Advair daily. The good news is that this "cocktail" keeps me from sneezing and my nose from running. The bad news is that I'm still congested (sinus headaches) and get bronchitis 3-6 times a year. (I've tried Zyrtec and Allegra; Claritin works better for me. And the Advair has helped minimize the bronchitis.)

Using a neti pot does help, especially with preventing the sinus headaches. Unfortunately, I have to actually use it, not just have it sitting in the drawer. Started again this week - hopefully, I'll get back in the habit.

Emily

Quote Originally Posted by ShanaMama
    I was going to respond to your post in b!tching with this info, but was too tired. Both my ped & ENT have recommended a homemade saline nasal spray which they swear by. DD has had numerous EIs. I started using it at the first sign of runny nose & haven't had any EIs since. I don't know that it will help your sinus infection, but combined with a nasal spray should be a good preventative measure for the future.
    I posted the recipe in this thread:
    http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin...ht=nasal+spray

Your recipe is basically what my dr told me to use: 1tsp kosher or coarse salt, 1 tsp baking soda, 2 cups boiled water. Use 1cup at a time in a bowl in the shower.

I just did this. Ick. That's all I'll say.

But, if it works, I'll do it.
    Melissa

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray
    Your recipe is basically what my dr told me to use: 1tsp kosher or coarse salt, 1 tsp baking soda, 2 cups boiled water. Use 1cup at a time in a bowl in the shower.

I just did this. Ick. That's all I'll say.

But, if it works, I'll do it.
    I just reread you other post and was coming back to edit, LOL! I think the only difference is my doc tells you to actually squirt it up your nose.
    I will admit that I could never bring myself to do it on me, but I make DD do it even though she doesn't like it.
    ~Shanamama

Mommy's girl- 10 years old!!
    Daddy's girl- turning 7!!
    monkey boy- 3 years old now!!

Wacky typos brought to you by autocorrect.

Well, Nasonex is in the lead. So, I tried that sample. Thanks ladies!
    Melissa

I voted for Flonase because that's what I'm presently using, but I actually don't have any preference for one prescription nasal spray. What I use has been more dependant on the doctor, and the country they're in; I've used Rhinocort, Flonase, Nasacort, and something else I can't remember. But I use them in addition to pills, not instead of, so that may have some effect - for pills, Allegra is what works best for me right now, but I started on Dimatapp back in the 70s and have basically taken everything that was developed between then and now. I also use Claritin (otc) eye drops, and Patanol (a prescription). My wonder drug was Seldane, which was taken off the market back in the 90s , so now I have my fun cocktail of drops, spray, pills, AND an inhaler (I don't have asthma) - not sure what that is either. I'd love to be able to do shots, but had terrible reactions to them.

Just some advice, my dad isn't allowed to take antihistimines because they can sometimes cause lots of problems with men's prostrates etc - tmi, trust me. He's experimented with a lot of other remedies because of this, and right now he uses a nasal spray and a neti pot sort of thing. He's able to keep things mostly under control that way. So, I second the neti pot, or homemade saline squirt.
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

LarsMal is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I take one Claritin every morning, 1/2 a Xyzal and 1/4 of a Singulair at night. I was given Nasonex, but hated the way it made me feel. My allergist recommended a nasal rinse instead. It has really helped a lot.

I use the Neil-Med Nasal Rinse, I think it's called. I aslo use Nasalcrom (which is OTC) occassionally. It makes my nose burn a bit, but it works well, so I only use it when things get really bad.

And I get allergy shots. Fun fun!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast