jampockets Guest

Default Need help regarding frozen breastmilk

Hi!

Here's my dilemma, before going back to work in May, I started pumping extra milk to freeze. I now have *alot* of frozen EBM for DD. However, we are moving cross country later on this summer and will be traveling by car. Need advice on:

1. Can I safely transport some of the frozen breastmilk?
    2. Any suggestions on what I can do if I cannot transport them?
    3. DD sleeps through the night and I will need to pump along the way, how long will the EBM last (to give DD) if I keep it in a cooler with ice?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

TIA,
    Joy
    ~mom to Madeline 12/28/03

Default RE: Need help regarding frozen breastmilk

You will have to keep the breastmilk frozen for the whole trip. Look into using dry ice. I don't know where to get it, but I know it will work. Another option may be for someone to FedEx it to you after you arrive, packed on dry ice.

If you can't transport it, you can look into donating it to a breastmilk bank. Or perhaps to this lady: http://www.feedmybaby.com

During the trip, you should be able to keep fresh breaskmilk on ice in a cooler for several days at least. I have gone on business trips without a refrigerator and kept it for 48 hours with no trouble. If you know you can keep it cold in a cooler, I would thaw and use some of the frozen milk while driving, and keep the fresh to freeze when you get there.

...Karen
    Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
    Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

jbowman is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Hi Joy,

I had a lot of extra frozen EBM, too. So I tried to do take it with me cross country when DH, DD, and I went to visit our families last month. I ended up putting the EBM on ice in a cooler and it didn't work--despite only being on ice for 5 hours the first day of driving. I ended up throwing it all out (I knew it might happen and I didn't really need the milk anyway). I think the above suggestion would work.

The fresh milk will last quite awhile on ice, and at room temperature it will keep up to 10 hours, I believe.

caheinz is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I've been looking into this, as I have a very similar problem. (At any rate, a move across much of the country, and a freezer full of milk!)

What we've come up with is to ship some of the milk, probably on dry ice, to someone ahead of our trip. (We're moving closer to family, so we'll overnight it to an understanding family member or friend...) Not a lot, just enough to have a day's worth for when DS starts daycare again plus a small stash.

The rest, I've looked into donating. I haven't gotten too far yet, but I got info on one bank from my lactation consultant: http://www.health1.org/milkbank.asp (I guess some states run programs, but AZ is not one of them.) This link is for the Denver Milk Bank, apparently the largest!

I have way more than is worth shipping ... I'm generally producing 18-21oz/day, and DS usually takes less than 12/day by bottle (his record is 14).

I do have the benefit of flying when DS and I head out. (DH will be driving.) My FIL flys a LOT, and got us tickets with his miles. (Possiby even nicer, he's going to drive up with DH and the furbabies!)

Good luck!
    mommy to three boys: A, 3/04
    and identical twins B and D, arrived 9/08

you should be able to take a lot of it with you on the plane as checked luggage. Probably with dry ice.

...Karen
    Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
    Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

dr mom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Donating Breastmilk

I just wanted to add that I went to the feedmybaby.com website that another poster mentioned. The mother is unable to breastfeed following a double mastectomy; she is now relying on donated milk to feed her 6-month-old son. I just spoke to her on the phone and she does accept frozen milk and has a very low supply right now. She is feeding Grayson formula, but it makes him throw up, and she's hoping to get him back on breastmilk as soon as possible.

The screening requirements to donate are pretty simple, a health questionnaire, no smoking or alcohol use, and a few lab tests - most of which are done routinely in pregnancy (syphilis, HIV, Hepatitis) so most of us have already had them.

If you find yourself with a big freezer supply that you can't move, or have significant excess production (you lucky few!) this might be an option for donating. I know having to discard EBM makes me want to CRY, I worked so hard for it!

-Cindy