Default Anyone have Restless leg syndrome?

I am pretty sure I have this and was just wanting to get some input on what you do to treat yours. I know there is a new medication out there but I hate to take something unless it will really help.

I think I have always had this to some degree but lately it seems to be getting so much worse. It used to be that once I fell asleep it wouldn't bother me but during pregnancy and now having a newborn I am constantly up at night and therefore it is constantly bothering me. The past 2 nights have been especially bad since the boys have rotovirus and we have been up throwing up at night and having major diaper blowouts! x( Once I finally get everyone settled in and back to sleep then I am awake with my legs hurting me. Last night it went on from around 2 to 6 this morning and I finally fell asleep to have Jaci wake up at 6:15. It really isn't worth falling asleep.

Please tell me there is a treatment that will help!

Tara
    Mommy to Jackson 11-10-02
    Tyler 6-9-05
    & Baby Jaci 8-10-06

http://b4.lilypie.com/gzWfm8.png

http://b2.lilypie.com/sJmVm7.png

http://b1.lilypie.com/EZwnm7.png

mommyoftwo Guest

Default RE: Anyone have Restless leg syndrome?

Tara,

I haven't tried any medication because mine is much worse (unbearable actually) during pregnancy but I always have problems when I'm ovulating and during AF as well as random other times. If you want to try something over the counter, buy some magnesium (slowMag works best for me) and take a large dose of it daily. It's what my OB suggested when I was pregnant and it does help. I think I took 8 tablets a day when I was at my worst but 2-3 works well for mild problems and 5-6 works pretty well when they are really bad. It's worth a try anyway. I'm sorry your legs are bothering you. It's a PITB and I never get any good sleep when they are bothering me.

My DH requested a referral for a sleep study last year and was diagnosed with RLM (restless leg movement) during that study. It is so frustrating for him because his leg movements will actually wake him up during the night, preventing him from getting a good night's sleep. I don't know if it's RLS, or the same thing or not, but it's pretty horrible for him, I guess. He's always tired and sleeps so lightly. He tosses and turns a lot. I heard it might be alleviated by reducing alcohol, tobacco & caffeine consumption, adding an iron supplement as anemia might be another cause, and experimentation with Parkinsons meds that act on the brain, as well as opioids. I do wonder whether my DH's RLM might be related to his back problems(herniated & fractured discs in L4 & L5) where he lost feeling in one leg and had to have a discectomy b/c of a pinched nerve in his spinal cord. Who knows. We looked into Requip, but aren't ready to comit to this type of treatment yet. Here is a blurb on how it works:

"Requip is a second-generation dopamine agonist that directly stimulates dopamine receptors in the brain. Although its exact cause is unknown, researchers believe that the underlying cause of RLS may be related to dopamine, a chemical that carries the signals between nerve cells that control body movement. When the dopamine system does not function properly, it may upset the normal communication of these signals." (medicalnewstoday.com 5/7/05 on FDA approval)

It can cause low blood pressure and intense fatigue (even sleep walking) if you try to take it while doing anything active.

Me, OTOH, I sleep like a rock....could probably sleep through a hurricane. I feel so bad for DH. This must really suck for you. Hope you can find out what you need through your doctor and find a treatment right for you. Hugs, Tara. The remnants of pregnancy can also be to blaim for RLS. See link-

RLS explained:
    http://www.helpguide.org/life/restle...ndrome_rls.htm

Larissa

I had it during my pregnancy. It was very frustrating and annoying. Mine improved by avoiding all caffine and trying to cut out as much sugar as I could. I never took a drug for it. It went away after DD was born... phew!!!

Jenny

Mom to Caroline 1/06

chlobo is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My husband has this. He finds that if he gets some really good leg stretches in before bed that it helps a great deal. He suffered badly before.

Also, on the magnesium front there are a # of good powder magnesiums that you add water to and drink. They are good because they also contain b-vitamins. One I've used is called Ionic-Fizz. Another I've heard good things about is Natural Calm. Supposedly the liquid form is more absorbable. Also, I've heard for maximum benefit that it should be taken late in the afternoon.

Good luck, I hope you find some relief soon. You obviously need the rest. No fun caring for sick kids on no sleep.

schuyler and dylan's godfather and his daughter have it. i am 99% sure they both take the meds. but what helps the most, hands down, is exercise. can you run or walk daily?
    Liza has been hangin' around this board for six years.

My sons are 4 and 6. And they are very loud.

lvales is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Both of my parents have this, and I do as well. I know there are drugs out there for this, but I'm more concerned about the side effects than I am bothered by the symptoms of RLS. Ususally if I'm having a really bad night, I go and lay on the couch with a pillow under my calves. For some reason the change of scenery helps me get to sleep.

My parents swear by something more like an old wives tale - a bar of soap under the fitted sheet at the foot of the bed. Apparently my mom read about this in a doctor's column in the newspaper - he said there was no reason to think it did anything but he kept getting letters about it so he published one. Never tried that though.

Sorry I don't have better advice!!

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the advice! I really don't want to try the new drug for it because I do worry about the side affects. I think I will try the Magnesium. I try to walk 2 miles a day or do my eliptical trainer. Even if it isn't power walking I get out with the kids and we make a few trips around the block on their kettlers so I don't think it is a lack of exercise. DH had to start sleeping in the other bed because I was keeping him up. Hopefully when Jaci starts sleeping better I will as well. It just makes it impossible to fall back asleep once I am up.

Tara
    Mommy to Jackson 11-10-02
    Tyler 6-9-05
    & Baby Jaci 8-10-06

http://b4.lilypie.com/gzWfm8.png

http://b2.lilypie.com/sJmVm7.png

http://b1.lilypie.com/EZwnm7.png

chlobo is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: Thanks!

Try stretches. DH's is worse when he exercises but does NOT stretch right before bed.

SammyeGail is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: Thanks!

I have had this for about the past 10 years, sometimes worse than others and unbearible. Horrible painful cramps, uncontrolable kicking, you name it. I did try the requip. It worked great, on the first night and I took it about 2 months. For me it never caused daytime drowsiness, but I unfortinately seem to have a high tolerance to medication. When I went to another doctor concerning post-pardum depression, he said that requip can contribute to your depression/anxiety. So I stopped taking it. He has RX'd me xanax for sleep and it helps and has helped in the past.

Mag. and calcium was recommended during pregnancy, it helped. I need to get them out and start taking them again since I can't take xanax forever!

Just posting a different experience....even though the requip did work, I would not recommend it.

Samantha