Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    marit is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default When to give Zantac to baby?

My ped. subscribed Zantac to DS, beause of suspected reflux. I didn't quite understand though, when am I suposed to give it to him. Before/after feeding? how long before/after?

Thanks,
    Marit

Mom to DD Ballerina, 2003
    and DS Superhero, 2005
    and DD CurlyQ, 2009

Nothing real can be threatened. Nothing unreal exists.
    Herein lies the peace of God.

BillK is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default RE: When to give Zantac to baby?

Our son (almost 5 months old now) has been on Zantac for a while now - 3 times a day - we just give it to him about 3/4 of the way thru the first, midday and late afternoon feedings of the day. It tastes so awful we didn't put it in his formula (didn't want to ruin the whole bottle for the poor lil guy) - hopefully he'll be off it very soon - I HATE having to give it to him.
    ~Bill

Laurelsmom2002 Guest

Well- we do the efferdose ones- (if thats not what your dr prescribed- please ask to switch- its almost tasteless- salty water is what it's like
    I do it in am b/f first out of bed feed and then b/f dinner
    DS is a different kid on it ---so much better

I journaled for a while, trying different times to find what was best for DS. I don't even remember when we ended up giving it to him, but I know we eneded up doing just twice a day.
    --Julie
    Proud Mommy of C & W
    Owner, Precious Personalities
    My blog (which desparately needs to be updated)

lvales is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

My dd is on Prilosec - she only has to have it once a day.

The pharmacy mixed it up with Grape cotton candy flavoring - but it still tastes like a$$. I just put it right in her breakfast - I give her fruit with her oatmeal so it hides the bitter taste pretty well.

I don't know how well it would be hidden in formula, though. How much do you have to give him? My ped also recommended Mylanta until the meds kicked in, so she had both for a few weeks. She liked the cherry flavor of the mylanta. Maybe you could mix it with some pedialyte or something that has a better flavor and is kind of sweet?

Linda

Well, he is 5 weeks old and exclusivly BFing, so I can't mix it with anything. He screams when I give it to him, I really don't know what to do...
    Marit

and DS Superhero, 2005
    and DD CurlyQ, 2009

Laurelsmom2002 Guest

Seriously have the doc change the script to the efferdose ones- we disolve it in 5cc water and give 2cc in am- 3 in pm (we started w/ 2 in am when he was little) No screaming! He actually latches on to the syringe now- It truely made him so much more pleasant to be around- and he's obviously happier

Thank you! I will do that on Tuesday! Do you give it before the feeding? How long before the feeding (1 hour? less?) and how long does the effect lasts?
    Marit

and DS Superhero, 2005
    and DD CurlyQ, 2009

Mikesa3 Guest

I so wish I had known about this when my ds was a baby.He screamed all the time but the ped never suggested silient reflux and I had never been around a baby that had it.Ped just thought it was a nursing problem since he gained weight so slow.I still feel bad/guilty for not knowing and not being able to help him.I know I did my best but I still think about it often even though ds is a happy and healthy 28 month old now.I just keep obcessing about it at times.One reason is because we don't plan on any more babies and I feel so sad that I didn't get to enjoy his first 6 months at all.Sorry for butting in on the thread.
    Nancy-Mom to 6 great kids

Don't apologize, I know how you feel. I feel the same about not reading "Happiest baby on the block" with my first colicky baby, I think it would have made a big difference. I didn't know about silent reflux either, my nursing consultant suggested it, not the ped!
    Marit

and DS Superhero, 2005
    and DD CurlyQ, 2009

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast