jec2 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Anyone take Zyrtec & Breastfeed?

What are its effects on baby? Alavert just isn't working so the Dr. suggested Zyrtec although the literature/research on its effects on BF babies isn't very comprehensive. She suggested since he really isn't nursing at night anymore and that is when I would take the meds the effect on DS should be minimal. They also have a children's version so she said he'll prbably be ok. Just thought I'd see if anybody knows more or has experience with it.

Juliet, mama to DS 10/03 & DS 11/06

Default RE: Anyone take Zyrtec & Breastfeed?

I used/use Flosnase. Zyrtec made me too sleepy.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

jupster75 Guest

I took Zyrtec throughout my whole pregnancy and while breastfeeding with no problems.

Jennifer, mom to Audrey 11/3/03
    http://lilypie.com/baby1/041103/3/16/3/-5/.png

I have taken zyrtec off and o since I got pregnant with no problems for me or dd. I am still bf'ing. Alavert didn't work for me either. I does make me sleepy, but I found out that just half a pill works well for me (half of 10mg). I try not to take it if I don't need it, but right now it's hayf fever season around here!

HTH,
    Sunnny
    Mom to Ellie 10/28/03

jec2 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default thanks!

Thanks mamas! I am so glad to hear i'll/Ds be ok. My doc I think tends to be a bit conservative about prescribing me meds. but she seemed ok that since its better to take it at night (b/c of drowsiness) and that the effects on the babe will be much decreased by the time he nurses in the a.m. Anything to get rid of this freaking cough...hack hack...ugh!
    Juliet, mama to DS 10/03 & DS 11/06

sarahfran Guest

I take Zyrtec and Singulair (for asthma) every day, and have throughout my preg and 13 mos of breastfeeding. I'm not happy about it, but the risk of asthma complications was too great to stop. DS is fabulous and doesn't seem to suffer any ill effects.

-Sarah
    Mom to Dylan, 8/18/03

:) Motherhood is such a joy! :)