Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Rachels is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Maybe TMI, but something hurts. What the heck is it?

Okay. Before I conceived Abigail, I was charting and got very familiar with all the fertility signs. I haven't charted since she was born, but I still recognize things reasonably well. This month, a day or two after I thought I had ovulated, I had an all-day sharp pain in my left ovary. I mean, it REALLY hurt. So I sort of shrugged and thought, huh, maybe my fertility signs are out of whack and I'm just now ovulating. The next day it was gone. But now, three or four days after that, it's happening again. I feel totally fine at some moments, and am in sudden, stop-walking-and-bend-over pain at others. And I KNOW I'm not ovulating now. So what the heck could it be? It really hurts, and it's also freaking me out a little. Any ideas?

-Rachel
    Mom to Abigail Rose
    5/18/02

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ilies/knit.gif

"We have a secret in our culture...it's not that birth is painful, it's that women are strong!!" - Laura Stavoe Harm

Default RE: Maybe TMI, but something hurts. What the heck is it?

It very well might be an ovarian cyst. I would get that checked out by your OB/GYN ASAP on Monday--or sooner if it gets unbearable which probably means it burst. Sometimes they get more sensitive when you do ovulate, because you ovaries are putting pressure on the cyst.

I had one the size of a baseball (no joke) that burst and I felt like I had been shot. I never knew it was there beforehand. it just felt like a sore spot that every once in awhile cramped up and made me stop dead in my tracks. I figured I was really out of shape and it was a muscle spasm. But when it ruptured--ha, no way that was a muscle spasm!

Hope eveything turns out okay :)
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

Not much to do about a cyst, though, right? I had one rupture in high school, and I wound up in the ER, but I don't remember the exact sensation well enough to compare it. (And I've been through far more painful things since then-- kidney stuff, posterior labor, etc.)

But I tell ya, the idea of a pelvic exam makes me want to hit the morphine right now. No good, no good.

-Rachel
    Mom to Abigail Rose
    5/18/02

"We have a secret in our culture...it's not that birth is painful, it's that women are strong!!" - Laura Stavoe Harm

pritchettzoo Guest

One of my best friends had a similar-sounding pain. She was sure it was an ovarian cyst as was the doctor. She was sent to have an internal u/s and nothing was found. After doing bloodwork, they eventually decided that she had a really bad bladder infection.

The only other thing I can think of is something like a hernia or a muscle tear.

I hope you feel better soon! I love your little knitting smilie!

Anna
    Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

NEVE and TRISTAN Guest

My gut feeling is a cyst too...
    I get these exact same pains when I ovulate on the side and all, they hurt, but they typically are gone in 6 hours. I'm not certain but could it be two eggs. I say that because this last period I had two episodes of the pain, one at night and one the next morning and I assumed this could be the case...

Neve
    http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
    AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
    and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
    Feb 25, 2003
    Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

em_jon98 Guest

A twelve hour time span would be about right for two diiferent eggs to "O".

em_jon98 Guest

I'm thinking cyst also. From what I understand, there isn't a whole lot that can be done, except control the pain. They can take a cycle or so to resolve. I think they sometimes prescribe oral contraceptives to try to shrink the cyst hormonally.

Sorry to tell you that, when they suspected I had one last fall, my OB/GYN did a full pelvic to feel the ovaries (if it is a large cyst, they can usually feel it externally.) I then had an ultrasound (with vag. probe, so fun :() to rule out the existance of a smaller cyst that she could not feel.

jubilee Guest

I had an ovarian cyst burst several years ago, and the pain you describe is pretty much how I felt a week or two before it ruptured. When mine ruptured it was during sex, and I tell you it was pass out kind of pain. I don't know if there is anything they can do prior to a rupture, but I'd talk to a doctor about it. I almost had to have surgery because of it, since it didn't stop bleeding for a few days (I had ultrasounds each day after the rupture, and then once a month for a few months). Hope I didn't scare you, but I'd really talk to your doctor before this escalates into a problem.

YIKES. OMG. Okay, I'll call. I'm, just trying to figure out if it's worth consenting to painful diagnostic tests if there's nothing to do about it. It's clearly not large if it's there-- I'm a stick these days, and there's nothing to palpate.

-Rachel
    Mom to Abigail Rose
    5/18/02

barbarhow Guest

Rachel it definately sounds like an ovarian cyst. The daignostic tests aren't necessarily going to be painful. An ultrasound will show an enlarged cyst. And if I recall myGyn experiences-size does not necessarily correlate to pain.
    I'm not going to tell you haw they used to diagnose them before ultrasound.....
    Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast