Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Tylenol use etc while pregnant?

I am 13 and a half weeks. My Dr told me it was ok to use tylenol, as well as claritin and fluonase for my symptoms (low 99.8 fever, cough, runny nose etc). Did any of you take any of these while you were pregnant? Did your Drs also say they were OK to take?

Default RE: Tylenol use etc while pregnant?

Tylenol is completely fine. Don't know about the flonase and claritin though.

Sudafed is also completely safe.

Here's a page from askdrsears.com indicating what's safe and what's not:

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/1/T011500.asp

Feel better.

-m

Wife to Jonathan
    Mom to Sophia 12/02 and Amelia 12/04

signsing Guest

I took tylenol and sudafed and benadryl when pregnant. Started on flonase just after the baby was born. I came home from the hosp and my allergies hit me like a ton of bricks. Flonase should be fine since very little of it enters your bloodstream, which is why it is safe for nursing as well.

HTH
    Betsey
    Buddy's Mamma 6-10-2003

COElizabeth Guest

I have taken Tylenol while pg this time and have never heard of anyone being told not to. My sister's OB okayed Flonase during pregnancy, too, but my internist told me that it was in a less favorable category than some other allergy meds (in the system of rating drugs for use in pregnancy). That doesn't mean you shouldn't take it, but it wasn't his first choice. Unfortunately, I can't remember what he said would be better. It might have been Sudafed, but I don't remember. Another consideration is that I think you have to use Flonase for a long period for it to have most effect. If you have allergies a lot, it could be a good choice, but for a cold that will go away in a week or so you might not want to bother.

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
    EDD #2, 10-30-04

I used Tylenol and Sudafed while pregnant. Also if you ever have a cough you can take Robitussin (but I forget which formula, there is one you can take and the others you should stay away from)
    Mommy to my 2 sandy boys

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**If you live in the New England area and want to join the local Yahoo group for BBBers, please PM me for more info!**

tinkerbell1217 Guest

Doc told me it was okay to take Tylenol in moderation if needed. And, with DD and DS, he told me I could take Sudafed also (I have allergies). When my friend was sick with a bad cough and cold her doc told her a certain cough medicine was okay too. Hope that eases your mind a bit!

Kelly

s_gosney Guest

I also took tylenol and my OB gave me zyrtec when I had allergy problems. She also said it was fine to take bendadryl and sudafed.
    One thing though...if you take an antihistamine (like benadryl), you might want to run a humidifier if you have one. I ended up with the only nosebleed I've ever had in my life after taking benadryl. This isn't a big deal of course, but just thought I'd throw that in. HTH!

Saartje is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I know that both Tylenol and Claritin are considered safe. Flonase I don't know about. Is the doctor telling you this your OB or another doctor? I'd only take advice from an obstetrician (or family practitioner, as opposed to a general practitioner) on what to take while pregnant.

urquie is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

as far as the allergy meds go... i was told NOT to take claritin. was told zyrtec (sp?) was safe but it made way too dehydrated. and my allergies were terrible. then i was switched from flonase to nasacort which pretty much took care of all the allergy problems. nasacort is great!!! if i have a specific reaction to food or something immediate i take benadryl.

everything was prescribed by my allergist then okayed by my ob.

cinrein Guest

My OBs are very conservative and OKed the Tylenol. In fact, I was told I must take Tylenol if I have a fever while pregnant. It's very important to keep your fever low.

I didn't have the need for the other meds, so don't know about those. Hope you are feeling better soon!

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast