Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    LucyG is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default a question for thrush survivors

I'm being treated with Nystatin cream for thrush, and DD is getting the Nystatin oral suspension four times a day. I've been on the medicine for almost 48 hours, and I'm still hurting. From what I've read, thrush can get worse before it gets better (once you are being treated). I'm fairly sure the thrush is in my ducts as well as on my nipple, but the midwife wanted to try the Nystatin rather than going straight to Diflucan.

How long should I give the Nystatin to work? I'm also taking acidolphilus three times a day, rinsing my nipples with a water/vinegar solution, washing all bras and pads in hot water with bleach, and limiting sweets (or trying to!).

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer!

Default RE: a question for thrush survivors

You're doing great! I took Diflucan for 3 weeks before it went away. I was on an every other day treatment that failed for about a month. I also used the cream on my nipples and did the other fun stuff you mentioned. I think it depends on how bad you have it and/or if its in your milk ducts to see what will work to treat it properly. I can tell you from experience to make sure you keep doing everything you are doing even when the pain stops. I finished all of my "treatments" and then was fine for 4 days until it started up again!

I hope it goes away soon. :)
    Mom to R and R

KGoes Guest

Nystatin did not help me at all. In fact, our local LLL and the LC at the hospital don't even recommend starting with it. The only thing that worked on my thrush was diflucan - nearly six weeks of it. In the middle of diflucan, I discovered acidophilus/bifidus supplements. This is when I noticed a turn-around in my symptoms. I do not think that this is a coincidence (although my OB does) and if I ever get thrush again, I am starting on the supplements immediately before I go to diflucan, which is passed to breast milk.
    I also found that the symptoms go away gradually - this is not like taking tylenol for a headache - so hang in there!!
    Good luck!
    Kelley
    DD born 7/03

heidi_timms Guest

The Nystatin never worked for either me or DD. I applied it for three weeks to my nipples and to the inner cheeks of DD. I used the acidophillus with Bifidus pills that are chewable. I took them, plus crushed one up and fed to DD on my finger. I wet my finger and then dipped in the powder. They were banana flavor so she ate it right up. I am sure ath it was the acidophillus/bifidus was what worked.

~Heidi
    Mom to Kailey Ashlin
    4/27/03

momma_boo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Lucy, glad to hear that you were able to get something to treat it. I have no advice. But I really do hope you feel better soon!
    Esther

2 March girls (2003 and 2005)

neeter is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Just wanted to let you know that I'm dealing with the exact same thing; I've tried the Nystatin cream for a week now, and I feel only worse. The pediatrician wanted to give me Gentian Violet before Diflucan, but we can't find it at any pharmacy! So I'm going ahead with the Diflucan - can't hurt, right? And we'll keep looking for the Gentian Violet in the meantime. Sorry no real advice, just misery and company!

jubilee Guest

I also took Diflucan for 3 weeks before it went away. The yeast was actually deep in my milk ducts (I could feel it all the way to my breast bone.) After the 3 weeks, it even took another week before I finally was completely rid of the pain. Be sure to take all your medicine if you get Diflucan!!

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

For me I felt better in a couple of days, but my nursling never had it, so that might cause it to take longer. It sounds like you are doing everything right. My condolences, I remember that pain well.

Do you switch nursing pads each time you rinse? That was the only other thing I would suggest.

skating mom Guest

I realize my posting is a month after the original inquiry, but I feel I have to share my "Thrush experience" for anyone else that stumbles across this thread.

The thrush treatment I'm about to describe was provided to me by a lactation consultant who did masters degree research on thrush. The treatment is based on research that shows that yeast grows rapidly within 2 hours

Treatment for baby:
    For 2 weeks, after every feeding first coat baby's entire mouth with about 1 ml of acidopholous wash (mix about a quarter teaspoon of acidopholous powder with half a quart of water and store it in the fridge. (I swished my pinky finger all inside baby's mouth to do this). Then, coat baby's entire mouth with nyastatin (about 1 ml)

If baby uses a pacifier, give newly sterilized one after each treatment to avoid reinfection. Also, need to sterlize any bottles, breast pump parts, eye droppers, etc... after each use. I used 3 oz paper cups to put medication into, thus avoiding having to sterilize containers. Do not put eye dropper into babies mouth and then back into medication bottle; or you'll end up contaminating medication w/ the yeast.

For 3 days, do twice a day, paint baby's mouth with gentian violet mixture (Mix equal parts of 1% gentian violet solution with an equal part of water, and store in a dark place)

Treat baby's diaper rash (caused by yeast) by putting a thin film of lotrimin (Monistat) on affected area and cover it w/ a waterproof rash cream like Desitan

Treatment for mom:
    For 2 weeks, after every feeding coat nipples and arolea with acidopholous wash (see treatment for baby above for mixture). Follow this with a thin film of lotrimin (Monistat). Change breast pads after every feeding

For 3 days, three times a day, paint nipples with gentian violet mixture (see treatment for baby above for mixture)

Take probiotics (acidopholous and bifidus)each day. Natren brand was recommended to me because it is much more potent than many others. Natren has billions (not millions) of healthy bacteria in it.

If still not cleared up, try diflucan, and try eliminating dairy, sugar, and wheat from mothers diet.

Also, every night, need to:
    Wash any clothing/laundery that comes into contact w/ baby's mouth or mothers nipples in hot water followed by a vinegar rinse

Thank you for the information!
    I just found out I have thrush and I'm going to follow this plan, which is close to what my LC suggested.
    Jenn

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast