deborah_r is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default What is OK to take while BFing for allergies?

The last two days I have a sinus headache and my throat hurts and my ears are itchy. What medication is OK to take while BFing? Is Sudafed OK?
    Deb
    Mama to my guys, K (May '03) and Q (June '07)

Jen in Chicago Guest

Default RE: What is OK to take while BFing for allergies?

I was told I could take Sudafed. I could take my Zyrtec, but it may reduce my milk production.

Rachels is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Any decongestant can really cause a decrease in your milk production. If you take one, be sure to drink TONS of water and consider taking fenugreek, eating lots of oatmeal, etc. to keep your supply up.

You can find good info on what's safe while breastfeeding at www.kellymom.com.

-Rachel
    Mom to Abigail Rose
    5/18/02

mom2kandj Guest

My OB/GYN suggests PLAIN sudafed, PLAIN tylenol, PLAIN robitussin. No extended relief stuff, no add ons, nothing! Anything else was RX! & I was pregnant and/or nursing for THREE YEARS! Get well and drink lots of water!

Rose
    mom 2 Katie (34 months)
    & Jack (18 months)

jennifer13 Guest

Be careful with the Sudafed. It's not a problem for the baby but it CAN dramatically affect milk supply. Many of my friends took it while BFing and had no problem whatsoever, but when I took it I would say it cut my supply in half. Definitely take Fenugreek, it really helped me. So just be aware, it can have a big affect, but not always.

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Any other suggestions? I'm heading to the pumpkin patch (read: hay rides & tons of animals) on Saturday and I'm going to NEED something.