LucyG is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default more thrush questions

1. If I have thrush in my nipple, does this necessarily mean that my baby also has it? I cannot find any evidence in her mouth (white patches, etc.). I know she will need to be treated if I do have it, but I'm just wondering if the baby always exhibits symptoms.

2. Is it possible to have thrush in only one nipple? I am realizing that I have had a sore left nipple on and off since dd's birth three months ago. It's kind of nagged me, but hasn't been bad enough to do anything about. Now, I've decided I'm tired of it! The pain usually subsides once she's latched on and sucking well, but it happens at every feeding. I've tried expressing milk after feedings and letting the nipple air-dry, Lansinoh cream, changing pads often, but the soreness always returns. How is thrush diagnosed in a nursing mom?

I guess I need to call or see a LC, but I thought I'd check here first. Does an LC treat thrush, or should I call my ped or my midwife?

Thanks!

ginalc Guest

Default RE: more thrush questions

Hi LucyG,

What you are describing doesn't sound like the yeast infections that I've experienced. Sounds more like a positional/latching problem instead.

I would encourage you to call a LC AND the midwife. Share your symptoms and pain. Rate your pain on a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being no pain and 10 being TAKE ME TO THE HOSPITAL NOW! :)
    This will help determine how you need to be treated.

Think of yourself and baby as one unit. You may both have several signs and symptoms of thrush, or only one. Nevertheless, both you and baby need to be treated if you have it.

Diagnosing someone over the phone is also difficult, so don't be surprised if they ask you to come in for a visit.

I've suffered through 2 yeast infections (with different babies) and I can share that my pain was about an 8 or a 9 when I finally sought treatment. It happened fast and took weeks to subside completely. You can treat it on your own, but I would recommend contacting a higher power for diagnosis and treatment because it can be very difficult to get rid of.

Good Luck!

gina, mom to 3
    BFing for 4 yrs

trumansmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

When I had my yeast problems, Truman showed no symptoms whatsoever. While that was a good thing, it was kind of frustrating because I couldn't get his ped to treat for yeast at the same time. I'm sure that's one of the reasons I struggled with getting rid of it for so long.

And nipple soreness can definitely be a sign of yeast. You described exactly what it felt like for me before it spread into my ducts. At the time I assumed it was a latch problem because it was only on one side, but later realized that it was much more than that.

I strongly encourage you to call your midwife. You may need a prescription.

Good luck!

Jeanne
    Mom to Truman 11/29/01

ginalc Guest

Found a good site that may help:

http://www.breastfeed-essentials.com/thrush.html#APNO

gina, mom to 3

mcmorfit Guest

Lucy and Gina,

Thank you for the information it was REALLY informative. I had thrush like symptoms this week too just on my left side. I took DD to the doctor and she does not have thrush so nothing was prescribed. My LC suggested putting Gyne-Lotrimin on my nipples after doing a vinegar wash and a friend said that she mixed equal parts of Gyne-Lotrimin, Polysporin and Hydrocortisone and put the mixture on her nipples. I made the mixture and it is really helping! As well I'm trying to cut back on my sugar intake (so hard) and increase my leafy greens - kale, spinach and seaweed.

I hope it gets better! On Monday I was in so much pain that I had to take DD off the breast a lot, now it is much better.

ginalc Guest

Good to hear that the mixture is working for you. I also found La Leche League helpful. I've never actually made it to a meeting, but I contacted a local leader and she gave me several tips over the phone that helped. (think I wore the numbers off my phone while seeking help!)

Let us know if you have more questions! :)

gina, mom to 3
    BFing for 4 yrs

I had pain in just one nipple. It would hurt when she first latched on, but then feel fine while she was nursing, and then after she disengaged from me it would start to hurt again suddenly and would ache for awhile. My nipple would get white and hard with a reddish/purplish center.

I did some research and figured out it was Raynauds Syndrome. I paid better attention to how she was latching on that side and that helped. After a week or so of making sure she latched on perfectly as possible, it stopped happening.

I also had a split in my nipple due to a partially inverted nipple and that may have been a factor in the Raynauds as well. It is finally healed.

Breastfeeding gets suddenly easier at about 8 weeks!

...Karen
    Jacob Nathaniel 2/27/91
    Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03
    ...Karen
    ds 1991
    dd 2003
    dd 2008 now home from Taiwan!